Thursday, October 6, 2011

Chosing a Birthday?

Feel free to share your honest thoughts and opinions...

When I went to the doc on Tuesday, she said "We'll choose a birthday at your next appointment."  While she is checking for a heartbeat, I am mulling over this statement.  (I am a list maker, a planner- I can't just make a decision like this in 2 weeks without some thought time!)  So, I asked, what she was thinking, that I needed an idea so I could think about it all before that appointment.  Her response is that the hospital doesn't like to do elective C-sections before 39 weeks, so the Monday before my due date.  You mean, the Monday before Thanksgiving?!?!  Who wants to be in the hospital for Thanksgiving?!  She says we could do it Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of that week.  Ugh.

I knew we were looking at another C-section but I would rather not.  I had really hoped that we wouldn't have to go that route.  I get so mad at myself about trying to control Maggie's arrival by inducing and ending up with a C-section that I really wanted to just let nature take its course.  And again- who wants to be in the hospital for Thanksgiving?!?  Or have just been released?!?  I think I am going to push for holding off until the Monday after Thanksgiving- my actual due date. 

Is that reasonable?  Or risky? 

1 comment:

Melissa and Chad said...

I, like you, am a planner. But one thing I learned when I had Chad was are you really going to look back and think about how awful your Thanksgiving was...or, are you going to look back at how thankful you are for that little boy? I ended up being induced with Chad at 41 weeks, much to my dismay, and was able to avoid a c-section (something I was scared to death of). The day I was induced the doctor gave me the option of either being induced or just having a c-section (there was a concern that he was possibly too big for me to have normally). I fretted about it, came home and cried about it (the doctor had said I could have a few hours to decide after my appt that day). I even called the doctor back crying. In the end, I went with the induction...and looking back, the only thing I really always remember about the whole thing is that I ended up with a healthy baby boy and mommy. So I'm sure that any date you choose will work out perfectly and you'll back and wonder why you fretted so much about it to begin with. :)