Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Homemade Drain Cleaner

Our shower drain is forever becoming slow or clogging.  I swear it seems like we are putting Drano or the like down it constantly.  Besides the fact that stuff stinks, it is expensive and not the most earth friendly product.  So when the drain started to show signs of becoming slow again, I went in search of a more friendly cleaner and came across a vinegar recipe.  Yes, I know, vinegar is the wonder substance.

Recipe:
Put 3/4 C baking soda, dry, in the drain.  Pour about 1/2 C vinegar in the drain.  Cover with a rag or stopper.  It will make a volcano effect that you want to keep in the drain.  Boil some water while waiting 30 minutes.  Pour HOT water down the drain slowly.  Plunge as needed.

I didn't measure the amounts, and didn't have a rag or stopper I wanted to put in the shower.  The shower floor was dry so I stuck press 'n seal down.  I am also impatient- I really wanted to go ahead and shower so I only waited about 10-15 minutes.  I must say, I am impressed with the results.  I believe I will do it again in a couple days to get things nice and clean but I believe this will be my go-to method for drain clogs now!

Now I just need to find that site again that tells you how to clean your dishwasher...

No comments: