Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Politics

One of the things my mother told me never to discuss in public... I got an email today that made a very interesting point. The president gets a "pension" sum every year until they are 80. It pointed out that if McCain won and served 2 terms, we would never have to pay him this sum (he'd be over 80 by the end). On the other hand, if Obama won we would be paying the amount for the next 20something years. The total cost would be almost $5 million. Not that in the grand scheme of things that is a ton of money. (But to my little salary it seems like a lot) This does not impact my decision- I have yet to make one and really need to spend some more time researching the candidates but my point in all this is- when my hubby got home today and asked about my day I shared this email with him. Not in the interest of starting a discussion (I know we don't see eye to eye on very many political things) but just to share my day. It really was the only truly out of the ordinary thing that happened today. Anyway- it started a great debate. Like Mom said- shouldn't talk about politics in public. It amazes me every time this happens that someone I feel so in tune with so much of the time can differ so greatly in our opinions. Don't think that I am staunch in my ways and unwilling to move- I am more than happy to listen to his opinions and often find his point of view very eye opening. In fact, the more opinions and thoughts that are shared with me, the better I feel when I sit down the make a decision. Just wasn't in the mood for the grand presidential debate today. All I wanted was a nap. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hear you girl. I seriously want to look at the issues and make an informed choice, not just vote for a party.. But man am I taking some heat for that.. This election is really getting under my skin.

Adam and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of things. It keeps our relationship interesting. Maybe that's why I think you can hold a different opinion from someone else and still love them.

See you bright and early in the morning.. Wait, did I say bright?

I do hope you got a nap!