Sunday, October 26, 2008

My turn

So we finally made the trek... Maggie visited her grandparents in Marion for the second time ever. I know, I know, she is almost 6 months old and they only live 2 hours away. Why haven't they seen her more? I could answer that with a list of reasons but deep done there is only one. I worry about her going there. Their lifestyle is vastly different than ours and the one that I was raised in. I am uncomfortable in their world. Bucky and I have been together over 9 years but still I don't feel welcomed in their home. I constantly feel like they are sizing me up and thinking I am a snob. I try my hardest to do things their way while we are there. I eat their food (it has taken the whole 9 years for my stomach to get used to the grease), participate in their activities (I've learned to ride a horse, drive a 4 wheeler, and make church baskets), and breathe their air (smokehouses make less pollution), but still... Well, for the love of my husband, I put my worries aside and we went. However, I am surprised I still have a tongue after all my biting. Quick recap of the events: we arrive- after 2 and half hours in the car seat, she ask us to drive back to Florence and get her some flowers and food (another 1 and half). We arrive a second time, we sit around while she works. Grandma gives Maggie sweet tea to drink! I say please don't. She does it again and ask why- I tell her that I don't want her drinking that stuff, we are a milk, water, juice family for kids. She says that is crazy- gives her more. I am trying not to jump across the room now, so I hit Bucky and he tells her to stop. She finally does. Why does she not respect me enough to quit? His sister pipes up that Landon (her 4 month old) likes it while shoving her finger covered in thousand island dressing in his mouth. That is followed by the statement from his mother- you should feed her grits with lots of butter in them. Bucky and his sister were eathing that stuff by now. AHHHH!! She raised her children, may I please raise mine now?

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh geez. So sorry you had to be in a situation like that. Hang in there! It was good seeing all of the MCE peeps again! :)

Hyperactive Lu said...

Ha! Hilarious! I could have written this post! Oh my goodness! When I use to go to my husband's parents house, I would have to wipe the grease off the lasagna. It was covered in it. I had never seen so much fat on ground beef. I was raised in an organic, natural food environment with little meat. It was like culture shock 101!!! I have always felt like a snob around them also, because I dressed up...not nicer...just instead of a pair of jeans and a top, I would wear a skirt and a shirt. Just something I enjoy wearing and I like to wear jewelry and do makeup...something also not common around their house.. Anyway.. I can totally relate. Unfortunately and fortunately- depending on how you look at it, they kept our son for 3 yrs and it caused a lot of issues. We speak, very rarely and only for the sake of my oldest child. Anyway... be thankful VERY thankful that you do live 2 hrs away. That way y'all can start parenting off with your own ideas and views and have a phone call in between!!! :) By the way, I'm from Dana's blog and friends with Mandy and Dana!

Hyperactive Lu said...

Hey. I bought a plain t-shirt and got some fabric that I like the design of and cut out the shape. Then bought fusing and fused the fabric to the fusing and then the fabric to the shirt. Then I did an applique stitch around the design! Voila! Easy-peasy! I think I'm gonna do a turkey for the boys for Thanksgiving...maybe on a brown shirt?